Swansea Leaving Care
Practical information for individuals leaving care

    Opening Hours: Mon, Tues, Thurs 10.00am – 4pm Wed: 1pm – 4pm, and Fri 10.00am – 3.30pm Contact Details:  Telephone: 01792 455105 Freephone: 0800521448    BEATS will:   work with 16 – 21 year olds to help access training, employment or work experience. help young people access courses, or volunteering opportunities. give practical support with […]

  Money Worries – Help with Benefits Have your benefits been stopped or reduced because of a sanction?         You are eligible for Income Support if you are: Aged 16 & 17 and a parent of a child for whom you are responsible for; or A single person fostering a child  Aged 18+ […]

  Lots of the topics covered in this website are part of independent living skills and you may be surprised by how much is involved in looking after yourself. You don’t have to be completely on your own and if you are finding things difficult you should always have someone to turn to for help.  This does not […]

  There are a number of documents that you will need to have as you live more independently.  BIRTH CERTIFICATE  You need your birth certificate as proof of identity and you will need it to get other documents such as a passport.  Social Services may have a copy of your birth certificate that they are […]

It is your social worker or young personal advisor’s job to make sure you are registered with a doctor (also called GP) and a dentist.  It is important not to leave registering with a GP until you need medical help.  Keep the contact details for your doctor  and out of hours contact number safe.  DENTIST  […]

This is perhaps one of the biggest things you have to sort out as you leave care and this is why there is lots of help and support available for you.  The options available in your area may affect your choice of when you want to leave care.  Unfortunately quite a large number of care […]

  SCHOOL You should already have a designated person in school who is there to help and support you.  This could be a teacher or another person in the school.  They are responsible for writing your Personal Educational Plan (PEP) and making sure everything happens.  Your educational plan should help you to do the best […]

While you have been looked after you will have known some people whose job it  is to help and support you. All young people in care have a social worker. It is a good idea to keep their details readily available just in case you need to contact them. You may also want to note the […]

  A right is a something that you can expect to receive. You don’t have to earn it or win it. The rights and entitlements listed below are things that the government has committed to provide for you as a care leaver. This might be because there is an Act of Parliament   or because they have […]